Thursday, March 20, 2014

Fast Fashion

Exams, Assignments, Family, Love... LIFE!
With so many priorities and expectations, fashion sometimes suffers. This post is dedicated to Fast Fashion- I'm not talking about vertical integration and shortened lead times or product life cycle often seen at Zara and H&M- I'm literally talking about getting fashionable quickly!


Being so busy with school had me thinking about staple pieces of clothing I can depend on, and the dilemma we're sometimes faced with as we're rushing out the door 10 minutes before class/work is, what to wear!? If you're like me, you (try to) plan, plan, plan, your outfits the night before (or, if you're crazy, the week before on your outfit-planing app) to save yourself time the next morning when your eyes are barely open and you make a puffy-eyed reach into your closet and fish out just any old lumpy blue sweater.. or was it Cerulean perhaps? ....because you don't care about this 'stuff'.
[annndd GO Miranda Priestly]
'This... stuff'? Oh. Okay. I see. You think this has nothing to do with you. You go to your closet and you select... I don't know... that lumpy blue sweater, for instance because you're trying to tell the world that you take yourself too seriously to care about what you put on your back. But what you don't know is that that sweater is not just blue, it's not turquoise. It's not lapis. It's actually cerulean. And you're also blithely unaware of the fact that in 2002, Oscar de la Renta did a collection of cerulean gowns. And then I think it was Yves Saint Laurent... wasn't it who showed cerulean military jackets? I think we need a jacket here. And then cerulean quickly showed up in the collections of eight different designers. And then it, uh, filtered down through the department stores and then trickled on down into some tragic Casual Corner where you, no doubt, fished it out of some clearance bin. However, that blue represents millions of dollars and countless jobs and it's sort of comical how you think that you've made a choice that exempts you from the fashion industry when, in fact, you're wearing the sweater that was selected for you by the people in this room from a pile of ...stuff.
-The Devil Wears Prada 

However, the question is, what if you just don't have the time to get it all together in 10 minutes?
Just pick out anything- No!
I've been in this position all week! I mean, the last few nights I've been up 'till 4am typing away, trying to finish up my work.

So where am I going with all of this? How can you make 'rushed fashion' work for you? You need an 'I had no time, but I still look good' outfit (names of outfits are subject to change without notice), for those days when time just isn't on your side. So think about what your staple pieces are, one's that you can't live without, and also, pieces that you can without-a-doubt just throw on and still look put together. Is there an accessory or bag perhaps that just brings together your whole outfit? These pieces don't have to be expensive or designer, they just have to be versatile- that's key. So I'm not talking about trends here.

Below are pictures of me in my quickly put together outfits.
I can honestly say that they took no time at all. The pieces are versatile and I don't look like a homeless person...Unless you think I do =/ in which case, my response is- that was the look I was going for.
I had a vague idea of the look I wanted to achieve and just went with it. The ingredients are easy. Combat boots, fitted jeans, a t-shirt and loose top over it all. Most importantly, my to toque -for days when doing your hair isn't an option.




The Breakdown
T-shirt: Club Monaco
Cardigan: Zara
Jeans: Gap
Boots: Energie
Necklace: Souvenir from Mexico
Bracelet: Louis Vuitton (Charm it)
Belt: Louis Vuitton (Initiales Damier Ebene)
Bag: Coach (Harrison Leather Slim Tote)














The Breakdown
T-shirt and Cardigan: Zara
Jeans: Gap
Necklace: Souvenir from Mexico 
Bracelets: Gucci Chiodo Silver Bangle
                 Gucci Ruthenium Plated Silver
Boots: Gucci Leather Combat Boots














The Breakdown
T-shirt: Zara
Necklace: Souvenir from Mexico
Jeans: Gap
Watch: Adidas
Shoes: Pierre Hardy
Socks: RED 'cause they're AWESOME!
















These are some quick and easy looks in my wardrobe. As you can see, some elements were repeated, like my Gap skinny jeans. Staple pieces are fun and easy to play around with, and because they're so versatile makes them a quick grab for days when you just don't have time.

No comments: